It is 1:11 am and guess where I am?
At the lab, that is very correct!
Now, honesty requires me to say that I did go home from around 4 to 9 today (bacteria had to grow… could as well clean up my apartment before I leave than sit and wait in the lab), so I’m really just working my hours… at different hours. And thanks to hormones, once or twice a month I get a special no-sleep-required night, how convenient is that?
So before I gather my courage to walk home through the snow, so here are some random thoughts I wanted to share in case I don’t get near a computer before I get back from Christmas Holidays:
- Not having internet at home for 6 days straight sucks. I fear I might have to conclude I’m an addict.
- I got inspired by the Tomterna I made during Jane’s birthday challenge, and decided to make my own Tomte-christmas cards. I’m feeling very crafty and country now.
- I managed to get my DNA sucked up tonight. It was one out of 4 samples, which basically means 25% of my work down the drain. To top it off I almost dropped DNA sample #2 on the floor. Losing DNA on the floor is like losing contact lenses: very hard to spot and impossible to get clean afterwards.
- Fortunately, the pellet didn’t fall out of the tube. As an added bonus, it was mutated. 3 mutants done (unverified though… cross your fingers), 3 to go.
- I’ll be spending Christmas Eve alone this year. My family now knows how much I’m prepared to spend to be with them – not much, lol. I will by flying on Saturday morning though.
- Some people say there will be 10 cm of snow in Copenhagen on Friday. I hope they’re wrong.
- I kept postponing going to the alcohol-shop to buy Swedish gluhwein for the people back home. Now if I go tomorrow the place will be PACKED.
- I am starting crystallization trials on a colleague’s protein at MAX-LAB tomorrow. It is actually more impressing than it sounds.
- I sorted all my pics of the last 8 years, backed them up, burnt them on a cd (in case the external hard disk got stolen), sorted my .mp3 files, … . That part of this was done during working hours is not too guilt-inducing now I
gotmight have a new mutant.
- I’ve been having great fun with the Ikea home planner. Although it might be another year-and-a-half before I can start my renovation plans, I have decided : it will be lime green. Oh yeah.
- At any temperature below -5ºC, the right way of dressing is a pair of thick trousers AND long underwear and/or socking pants.
- My professor missed his bus by seconds today because he was counting on it being late. Maybe I have what it takes for professor-hood after all.
- My arms are too long. Or all sweaters are too-short-sleeved.
- My fingers are too long. There is no lab glove that ever fits.
- 2 am is a good time to go home. Being late for an appointment at MAX-LAB cannot be good.
I am not giving myself any schedule for the upcoming holidays (I’ll be home for 2 weeks), rather I’m just gonna try something else and post whenever I feel like it. Or not. It’s an experiment. We’ll see how it goes. In either case : merry christmas, happy new year, enjoy the holidays and don’t forget to close off the decade in style.